Nov 6, 2011

Doughnut French Toast


I have two Nigella cookbooks-  Domestic Goddess and the one holding this recipe, Nigella Express.  Both are equally delightful and great for their own reasons.  I've owned them for many years and still have yet to try a lot of the recipes.  Having always been intrigued by this one, I decided some Sunday would be perfect to give it a try; that day turned out to be today.   Although we had plans to go to the zoo, we changed our minds and stayed in, which gave me an opportunity to make this little treat.  I was somewhat skeptical of whether or not this would be good due to the typical ingredients used for french toast, so I didn't make a whole lot, unsure of how well-liked it would be.  Not a minute after giving my husband a slice, he was raving how good it was and asking for more.  He can be picky, so I thought if he likes it, it must be really good.  I took a bite and couldn't believe how absolutely delicious it was.  And it wasn't at all too sugary like I had imagined it might be.
*Now would be a good time to say that every recipe of Nigella's I have made (and to be honest each one with a tiny bit of skepticism) have turned out beyond delicious.  She is a genius.


Ingredients

2 eggs
1/4 c whole milk
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 slices bread cut in half
2 T butter plus a drop of vegetable oil
1/4 c sugar


Beat the eggs with milk and vanilla in a wide shallow bowl.

Soak the bread halves in the egg mixture for 5 minutes a side.

Heat the butter and oil in a skillet, and fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.


Put the sugar onto a plate and then dredge the cooked bread until coated like a sugared doughnut.


Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment