Oct 30, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Cake



When I opened my pantry to find something to bake yesterday, there was a lone can of pumpkin puree.  I knew I wanted to make some kind of cake, and contemplated a 3-layer something from Country Living Cakes Cookbook, but then thought better of that idea.  Thing is, I love cake, especially from scratch; but I don't necessarily love a labored process every time.  I, nor my 3 year old son, ever really have the patience.  Tea cakes, cupcakes, and quick cakes like this become very appealing when we're in the mood to bake.  This one is so quick and easy (and truly delicious) a little one can do most of the work.  So without further ado, here's my son with a step-by-step instruction.

Disclaimer : I by no means forced my son into baking labor for this post.  When flour and eggs are involved, he just can't hold himself back... :)


Ingredients 
cake
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 T pumpkin pie spice OR
1 1/2 t. cinnamon*
3/4 t. ginger
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. each allspice and cloves
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 can (15 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin puree

frosting
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, soft
1/4 c. honey*

*see notes below


Step 1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9-inch square baking pan. 


Step 2.  In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.  In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter and pumpkin puree until combined.  Add dry ingredients to mixture, and mix gently until smooth. 

 

For a moist cake, do not over-mix batter. 



Step 3.  Turn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes.  Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.



Step 4.  Make honey frosting: In a medium bowl whisk butter, cream cheese, and honey until smooth.  Spread on top of cooled cake, cut into squares and serve.


*Notes : I did not have pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, so I just added extra of the other spices; it was still delicious.  For the frosting, with no honey on hand I substituted maple syrup.  You can also use confectioners sugar and milk for a sweeter taste.

1 comment:

  1. uh oh! This makes me hungery...and it's 9:30 at night...bummer!

    ReplyDelete